When a payment on an invoice fails, Hint has a special dunning process and will attempt a few time and send the patient two emails before looping you as the practice in.
For Credit Cards:
- A scheduled payment is attempted.
- If it fails, retry that card in 24 hours (attempt #2)
- If attempt #2 fails, retry the card in 48 hours (attempt #3)
- If attempt #3 fails, send an email to the patient (first email to patient)
- If the patient responds and adds a card within 7 days, auto-process the invoice
- If the patient doesn’t respond after 7 days, attempt once more (attempt #4)
- If attempt #4 fails, send a final follow-up to the patient, send a notification to the practice about the failed payment, and transition the invoice out of “dunning/retrying” back to “issued”.
- The emails would be after 3 days and after 10 days from the initial attempt, for cards. For banks, the first email would be sent after 4-5 days